Thursday, October 25, 2012

Music Review: Taylor Swift

Hey guys! Audareya here, with TWO, that’s right, two brand new song reviews. And because of the release of the very popular country/pop singer Taylor Swift’s new album, I figured I would cover two of those bestselling singles. Get ready for a review of “I Knew You Were Trouble” and “We are Never Ever Getting Back Together.”

“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”was one of the first singles Taylor released from the album, and it was met with huge success. This song would probably be classified as pop with a little country, and it’s a little outside her original country genre. It’s the kind of tune that will get stuck in your head for days.

  The lyrics however, are exactly the same; Taylor singing her heart out about how she and her ex will never get back together, no matter what he says. "I remember when we broke up the first time/Saying, 'This is it, I've had enough,' 'cause like/We hadn't seen each other in a month/When you said you needed space. What?/Then you come around again and say/'Baby, I miss you and I swear I'm gonna change/Trust me/Remember how that lasted for a day?/I say, 'I hate you, we break up'/You call me, 'I love you.'"

 The lyrics are very typical of Taylor. The song is entirely based around the fact that she and her ex keep getting back together, but this time, it’s over. The tune itself is catchy, but the lyrics are meaningless. It’s really just another breakup tune with a catchy beat. Don’t get me wrong, I like the song, but not for the lyrics. Just a side note, I enjoyed the music video, if only for the fact that it was done in all one take. It was very interesting. Taylor, in that one take, even had to have 5 costume changes within the video. Her band dressing up as animals was a little strange, though. The link for the official video is below, if you want to check out what the song sounds like.


“I Knew You Were Trouble” is another single released by Taylor about 2 weeks ago, and since then it has had huge success, becoming one of the most popular tracks on her album. The song, however, is completely not Taylor’s usual style. She usually sings country; this is full-fledged pop/rock.

The song itself is yet another breakup tune, where Taylor blames herself for falling for him. She sings, “I knew you were trouble when you walked in/so shame on me now.” Taylor is basically saying that she knew the guy was trouble and would probably break her heart, but she just couldn’t resist anyway. Is that the message that she wants her fans to hear? The sad thing is that the tune to this is really catchy, and would be great to dance to. This song has actually become one of my favorites, but not for the lyrics.

The majority of Taylor’s songs are all about breakups, and these two are unfortunately no exception. When she was 16 and singing about all of her boyfriends, it was bearable, but now that she is 22 years old, she should have learned better. Taylor really stepped out of her country genre with these two pop songs, and while some are angry, many people like the switch. Let’s just hope that future tunes have some more uplifting messages.

Thanks for reading! If you want to hear both songs and watch the music video for “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” the links are below.

Keep on Rocking,

Audareya :)

"We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4iX5D9Z64

1 comment:

  1. I agree I am tired of hearing her songs about break ups and boyfriends. I hope her next album is full of uplifting music and boyfriend free. Great review.

    ReplyDelete